Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about Orientation
Can my student still get involved during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Students can still get involved in campus clubs and activities through virtual events. Using ENGAGE, students can sign up for a club and reach out to executive board members for information on the organization or club they have interest in. 
What services are available to my student during the COVID-19 pandemic?
All services typically provided in-person will still be provided virtually for students. Certain departments, including the Student Wellness Center, Office of Financial Aid, and Athletic and Recreation Center, have in-person services by appointment. We encourage students to use Raptor Connect to request virtual or in-person appointments with other resources such as the Dean of Students Office and Office of Academic and Student Success for advising and tutoring services.
How will my student obtain their Rutgers ID card and what is it used for?
The Rutgers ID card will be mailed out to students in mid-to-late August to the address listed on their application. We will send a reminder to students before-hand to upload their photo and notify us with address changes if needed. The Rutgers ID card will be used to access most services and facilities on campus including academic buildings, the Paul Robeson Library, the Residence Halls, printing services, meal plans, etc. 
How is Rutgers-Camden ensuring safety during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Our University has been closely monitoring the pandemic and related trends within New Jersey and surrounding states as well as upholding CDC guidelines. Students taking in-person courses and/or those living on campus are required to complete weekly COVID-19 testing administered through the school. In addition, staff and faculty members are also required to complete weekly COVID-19 testing when on campus. All information, safety protocols, and updates regarding the University’s operating status can be found here.
How can my student meet other students while orientation programs are virtual?
In collaboration with the Division of Student Affairs, out office will be hosting virtual opportunities for our incoming class to connect with other new and current students. Last summer, we hosted the Scarlet Summer Series, a 10-week program designed to introduce and connect our students with the campus community and learn about becoming a Scarlet Raptor. More information on this year’s Scarlet Summer Series will be available soon through our virtual events page.
My student is starting this semester and we haven’t heard anything yet. What should we do?
After your student is admitted to the University, their first step is to accept their admission and pay the enrollment fee through the Office of Admissions. Within 1-2 business days of paying the enrollment fee, students will receive an email from our office with next steps, including Net ID activation, placement testing requirements, and updates regarding the orientation and advising process. If your student is transferring from another institution, or took dual-credit courses in High School, they will need to send their official transcripts as soon as possible. 
All communication from the Office of New Student Programs will initially be sent to the email listed on your student’s Rutgers application. Once their Net ID is activated, your student will have access to their Rutgers Scarletmail and our office will send information there.
How does my student register for classes?
New students register for their first semester of coursework at their assigned virtual Advising and Registration date. During this one-on-one virtual session, they will meet with their Academic Advisor to review their program requirements and register for classes. 
Students in the College of Arts and Sciences Honors College will be contacted directly by the Honors College to meet individually with an Academic Advisor to create their schedule before the start of the semester. This student population will attend this appointment instead of an assigned Advising and Registration date.
Please note, all advising programs for new Fall 2021 students will be virtual.
How does my student declare or change their major?
New students must confirm their major when filling out the Registration Form for their Advising and Registration date, which will be sent in their initial next steps email. If your student wishes to change their major after their new student process, they must contact the Office of the Registrar at or (856) 225-6053. The University advises that students consult with their Academic Advisor before changing majors to make sure they are aware of any academic requirements or policies.
What does it mean to be a full-time student versus a part-time student?
A part-time student is enrolled for fewer than 12 course credits in one semester, while a full-time student is enrolled in 12 or more course credits. Not all schools accept part-time applicants and a student’s status will determine their term bill.
What is the cost of tuition and fees?
Costs for Undergraduate and Graduate study vary according to school and full-time or part-time enrollment. Final amounts are approved by the Board of Governors. To view the Estimated Cost of Attendance, visit here.
Why do students pay for a Campus Fee if we are not on campus?
The campus fee is charged to all full-time and part-time students on each regional campus to support student programs and services. While we have been virtual, these services and programs are still offered to students including the Student Wellness Center, Career Center, Learning Center, Office of Student Involvement, Athletic and Rec. Center, etc. For a full description of student fees, please visit the Student Accounting, Billing, and Cashier Services website.
When can the term bill be paid?
Term bills are emailed to your student’s Rutgers-Camden email, their ScarletMail, once it becomes available. Students cannot view their term bill until they have registered for courses. 
How can my student obtain a parking pass?
An email will be sent to your student once a parking pass becomes available to purchase (typically available at the end of August). Once your student has registered their vehicle, if they are a Commuter Student they will be allowed to park in lots C-15 and C-16. Please see the Campus Map for their locations. 
Where can my student find their textbooks?
Once your student is registered for courses, there are a number of ways they can check for any required textbooks. One method is to login to the Web Registration System and select the appropriate semester. From here, students should select Barnes and Noble-Camden to locate their textbooks. Another method is to visit the University Bookstore site and enter the course codes for their registered courses. If the book list is available, it will come up. Students can also check their course syllabus they receive from their professor for any required texts.
What immunizations are required?
The Student Wellness Center provides a list of required immunizations, found here. Additional information about immunizations and forms can be found on the Rutgers Immunization Portal. Please note that some immunizations on the list are required for all students, while others are required for those moving into on-campus housing.
All forms must be submitted no later than July 15 for students entering in the Fall semester and January 5 for students entering in the Spring semester. Students admitted to the University after the deadline should return the forms as soon as possible.
How can my student get involved on-campus?
Our campus has over 40 clubs and organizations on-campus, as well as Greek organizations. Students can find and attend events and programs on-campus by visiting ENGAGE, the Rutgers-Camden website used for listing clubs, organizations, and events, or through the Rutgers-Camden App on their phone. Your student can also visit the Office of Student Involvement for more information.
How can my student find on-campus jobs or internship opportunities?
The Career Center has recently introduced Handshake to our campus, an online application for students to locate employment opportunities both on and off-campus. Handshake provides students with access to jobs and internships based on their majors and interests. 
Each student is assigned a Career Counselor according to the major they declare. Career Counselors are an excellent resource for job guidance, interview assistance, and resume building. Students can connect with their Career Counselor using Raptor Connect.
Students should also check if they qualify for work-study through their Financial Aid Award Letter. Some on-campus offices accept work-study students each semester for on-campus job opportunities.
Does Rutgers support Diversity & Inclusion on-campus?
Yes. Rutgers University ensures that every student regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. is supported and heard. Our University has many services along with clubs and organizations that advocate for diversity on-campus. Check out The Office of Diversity and Inclusion website for more information. 
Where can my student find out information about on-campus housing and dining?  
For information about housing, your student can visit the website for the Office of Housing & Residence Life (OHRL). They also provide a Frequently Asked Questions page to help with many of the common questions that every resident may be unsure about. 
Please note, the University has not solidified plans for our resident students for the Fall 2021/Spring 2022 semesters. We encourage you and your student to monitor the OHRL website for updates. 
For information about the wide variety of dining options available to students and meal plans, your student can visit the Dining Services website.
Why does my student need a placement exam?
Any student required to take a placement exam will be emailed stating which exam they must take along with instructions for doing so. Below is an overview of the University placement test requirements.
English Placement Exam
All students must take the English placement exam unless they are exempt for one of the following four reasons:
  • Your student is transferring in an English Composition course for which they have received college credit.
  • Your student earned a 500 or higher on the verbal portion of their SAT.
  • Your student earned a 24 or higher on the English portion of their ACT.
  • Submitting AP credit in which a 4 or above has been earned on the examination.
Math Placement Exam
All students are required to take the math placement exam unless they are:
  • Submitting transfer credit for a 100-level college Math course in which they receive a C or better.
  • Submitting AP credit in which a 4 or above has been earned on the examination.
Foreign Language Exam
All students pursuing degrees in the College of Arts and Sciences must fulfill a foreign language requirement. Students must take a placement test in the appropriate language to determine which course to take. Foreign language exams are offered in French, German and Spanish. 
For more about additional credit courses, such as dual-credit coursework and AP exams, visit our website.
Why does my student need to take English Composition courses?
Your student must meet certain undergraduate requirements in order to graduate. These include General Education Requirements, which students in all schools must complete, and School/College Graduation Requirements. English Composition I and II are part of the General Education Requirements, so all students must complete them. Students may also transfer in credit from their previous institution or submit AP English Exam scores with a score of a 4 or 5 to receive English Composition credit.
To read more about the Undergraduate Graduation Requirements, visit here.
My student took AP courses in high school, are they still required to take a placement exam?
Any student who took AP courses in high school must have completed the AP exam receiving a score of 4 or 5 to be exempt from a placement exam and receive college credit.
Visit here to view our list of AP scores and course equivalencies.
Can you tell me about the safety on-campus?
Rutgers-Camden strives to provide a secure environment for the entire campus community. The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) patrols the campus and the surrounding neighborhood all day, every day. RUPD consists of over 20 commissioned police officers and 60 security guards in addition to the Delaware Port Authority and Camden County Police to patrol our campus and keep your student safe. RUPD provides security escorts for students, faculty, and staff along with emergency text alerts to notify the community of any critical emergency happening on-campus. For more information about campus safety, visit here.
Questions about Orientation
Does my student have to attend orientation?
Yes, your student is required to attend and complete multiple parts of their new student orientation including, the Online Orientation, a virtual Advising and Registration date, and the Everfi Online Orientation Modules and Academic Integrity Tutorial. These programs allow your student to learn how to navigate our campus, meet and interact with other students, register for classes, and learn about the resources and services available to them at Rutgers-Camden. 
Our office will communicate with your student when these orientation requirements are due. 
Can I attend the virtual Advising and Registration Day with my student?
The virtual advising session is for students only. Our office will host a separate virtual FAQ session and programming specific to parents/guardians over the Summer for you to attend.  
What are the Everfi and Academic Integrity Online Modules?
The Everfi and Academic Integrity Online Modules are a mandatory part of your student’s orientation to help them address critical life skills such as alcohol abuse prevention, sexual assault prevention, and financial literacy.
To find out more about our online orientation courses, visit our website here.
How and when will my student register for classes?
Once your student has accepted their admission, paid the enrollment fee, completed required placement testing, and the Registration Form, they will be assigned and invited to a virtual Advising and Registration date prior to the beginning of the semester. The Advising and Registration Day is a mandatory program for students to meet with their academic advisor in a virtual setting to register for classes. After the Online Orientation and Registration Form are completed, your student will be sent meeting information for their appointment that will take place on Zoom
My student cannot attend their assigned Advising and Registration date, what should we do?
If your student is unable to attend their assigned Advising and Registration date, they should notify our office as soon as possible so we can reschedule. On the Registration Form, students can also note any time restrictions they have so we can coordinate properly.